Saturday, December 27, 2008

Mother / Son bathroom bonding...

My friend Dave has always laughed at me for doing this "sales" thing to him when we are just hanging out talking. He accuses me of offering up an idea and then nodding vehemently and at the very end of my idea, I slightly shrug my shoulders, while still nodding, to gain the listeners buy in.

It would go like this: "I don't know why everyone underestimates Gen X'ers, particularly late Gen X'ers by saying we are bitter, we have no identity, and no idea what to do for a living. I think [nod] people labeled us that after the grunge movement but before we [nod, nod] were at an age to actually be decidedly entrenched in careers. How can you make a generalization [nod, nod, nod] like that about a group of people who were still [nod, nod, nod, nod] under 25 at the time. Check [nod, nod, nod, nod, nod] those statistics now. We were just purposefully slow starters and late [shrug while still nodding] bloomers."

So this morning, I was getting Wil and Georgia ready to leave the house and Wil was taking a big dump. Once he finally finished the dump portion of his visit to the potty, he was able to pee. While peeing, he said "Mumma, Pee is gross...!" all the while nodding with a slight shrug at the end while still nodding to gain my buy in on his statement thought. He just turned 3 last month.

I left Dave a voicemail on my way to work, thanking him for pointing that out all these years if for no other reason than I was able to recognize the moment....

Also, Dave is ALWAYS amused by my writing style. He says he can picture me talking to myself as I write, and that all I'm actually doing is writing down conversations I have with myself. He thinks I'm wordy, but ususally interesting and funny enough to pull it off. I think of him alot when I edit myself. I'm okay with this.


0

No comments:

Post a Comment