Sunday, December 21, 2008

Is that how you see me?!

How do I tactfully and respectfully handle inappropriate job leads?

At the beginning of December, my company informed me, with heavy heart, that I will be laid off as of January 2nd.

When this happened, I took the advice of experts at http://www.pongoresume.com/ among others and I reached out to my personal and professional network with my resume and asked for their assistance in my search for the right job.

It ABSOLUTELY worked. I am so grateful to have my "network" beating the streets for me however, I am being inundated with leads for jobs that even if I wanted to, I could not entertain.
I think their gesture of mentioning that their Dental Office is hiring a receptionist is so kind and warm. I would never want to offend them by saying I not only need more challenge professionally (alot more), I also need more money for my family situation and frankly, my experience is worth more money than that.

How do I tell my husband's aunt that the cashier position at the local supermarket that she found for me won't cut it. She means well, and in her day - this would be a great job for a young, busy mom. She is all kinds of country and old timey. She says Extry, not Extra, as in, "Does he wear a large or an extry-large?!" She asks you to "study on what all I can get y'ins for Christmas!" and she has more money than T. Boone Pickens. She borrowed a dress to wear to our wedding. She is eccentric and old school and would think I'm just too big for my britches if I tried to explain that I am one of THOSE modern style women who has a CAREER, not just a job. When she checks back in with me and asks, "Did you go down there and fill out an application?!" I feel guilty whether I say Yes or No.

Many of these wonderful people (rightfully so) have no idea how much I make now, or have made before I landed here 7 years ago however they all know how talented, resourceful, and savvy I am at work. Many of these folks are in positions similar to the ones they're recommending.

Here is why it confounds me: If my boss was losing his job - I would NEVER presume that he could just go work as data entry clerk. I would assume he would look for something equal to what he earns/does now, wouldn't you?

Here is how I have been responding when these people are thoughtful enough to mention one of these positions: I thank them and let them know I'll look into it and then I give them a copy of my resume. I hand off the resume partly to encourage them to continue to think of me, but also to urge them to read between the lines a bit and see my depth of experience.

I may reach a point where one of these positions is going to save my family but until I am there, how do I avoid offending them while being honest?






O
Help!

2 comments:

  1. Yes, this is certainly problematic. I have to laugh, because they mean well, and I know who you are talking about (I know her personally)- AND if your family was starving you SHOULD take one of those jobs, but generally speaking those are not what you are looking for. I mean Kroger doesn't even take resumes right? Just Apps?

    Also, those very same jobs prepared me for the very same world I am in today!!! I have more respect for people who work in those jobs than I can ever relay- As you and I often say "I know hiring someone who worked hard in fast food is always a safe bet"- assuming they grew professionally and personally above and beyond that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uh, not any old fast food experience. Again, my loyalty to McD's is specific. I really only care about fast food experience when I know the candidate comes from McD's because McD's in particular has an excellent training curriculum, but yes EXACTLY. I'm not above these jobs, just not ready to face them yet.

    ReplyDelete