Friday, January 9, 2009

I wanna be cool, tall, vulnerable, and luscious...

Kanye West's newest album 808s & Heartbreak is a crushing disappointment. It is SO reminiscent of the feelings I felt when taking in Liz Phair's 2005 album Somebody's Miracle.

I actually felt betrayed, maybe not by Liz or Kanye, but definitely by my senses. I felt my iPod's heart shudder with every new song during my initial listen. I always give an album from old faithfuls like these a fair number of passes before I really decide, but I think I already know.

In both cases, how do you put out consistently good and distinctively different albums for years on end, and then suddenly eek out a stubborn, cold, unyielding nugget of suck that no mother could love?

With Somebody's Miracle, I really, really tried to like it. I have LOVED every Liz Phair album prior to that and they all ranged in style - most distinctively 2003's self titled album where she got all shiny and mainstream. It was a bit Top40, but if you dismissed it for it's lack of indie integrity - you missed an amazing album, and seriously - get over yourself. We all have our fair share of embarrassing skeletons in our play lists (AHEM! Lionel Richie, anyone - Beej, anyone?!).

Incredibly, it took my local radio stations about a MONTH to realize she was saying FUCK in the song: "We haven't fucked yet but my head's spinning! Why can't I breathe..."

And hey, at least they're both brave enough to experiment. Most indie musicians or specialty artists could never sustainably bridge two markets (pop/country excluded but speaking of canned payola... oh never mind, I can feel the vomit rising).

Liz, you especially! I am still waiting for your recovery album. I have every confidence that it's coming, with others to follow. In your case, I think every blind squirrel finds a poison nut now and then. Let's hope...

Kanye, our relationship has less history than Liz and I. I find myself unconvinced but hopeful. I feel like you may deserve a pass after the freaky year you've had BUT... you remind me alot of a guy I know who continually uses every bad thing that happens to him as evidence that he is so much MORE of a tortured soul than anyone else on earth. His pain is worse than anyone else. His results are the highest anyone's ever seen. His outcomes are the most outrageous, it's indescribable. He cannot imagine that anyone can be as deep and as insightful as him. He imagines himself as being so isolated, so superior. HE IS EXHAUSTING. So, Kanye, go a little crazy, the year you've had warrants it - but then let it go OR move forward. Do not let this year further serve your sense of entitlement. You are not THAT talented, nobody is.




O

3 comments:

  1. Lionel Richie is the greatest artist EVER... Hello is it me your looking for? Come on now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Get over your super original self. Pffft.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well written, I hope Kanye/that other guy you know reads this. I hate that Liz Phair album so much. When is she coming out with another? As time goes by I get less and less forgiving.

    You should do a poll of "embarrassing skeleton play lists." Lately, I have been addicted to the song "No More Lonely Nights" by Paul McCartney. It's fucking awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sorry didn't Kanye recently say he wished he had LESS fans so he could pose nude in playgirl? WTF? Cocky much? Why are you two so convinced he is a musical genius. I am over him.

    ReplyDelete