Wednesday, February 11, 2009

My Acid-Washed thoughts

I am NO beacon of fashion, not by any stretch. I am known for my campy, outdoorsy style of dress. You could dress me straight out of the REI store or Sierra Trading Post catalog most days. Khakis or jeans, plain white t-shirts/sweaters, layered with some Royal Robbins vest or a hoodie, finished with some super-hip Keen shoes. The most I do is make an attempt to keep the cut and style of my boring clothes updated, as in, my jeans and khakis are low rise/boot cut with the right wash. That said, here goes...

It is my belief that denim has a very limited place in sane society. I am always horrified when I see denim things other than jeans or jackets. Purses, scrunchies (which denim or not should be outlawed, sorry Berger!), shoes, baby bags, vests, couches, throw pillows, duvet covers, etc.

Oh, and baby denim is a whole other issue. I think baby denim is some of the worst denim. If your baby can't wear jeans that are modeled after the current style of adult jeans yet, just hold off. Cutesy or novelty denim is neither CUTE nor NOVEL.

Occasionally, denim jackets can be questionable. They never top off a pair of jeans. Khakis? Sure. Corduroys? Why not! Madras plaid shorts? Go for it! More denim? NEVER! Denims almost never match each other, and should not be forced together. It is impossible to match denims unless it's an actual outfit, sold as a unit. Matchy-matchy denim is even more concerning, unless you're J.Lo and you can actually pull it off - but I still doubt it. And, let's be honest, even J.Lo hasn't done that since she was dating Puffy.

So, ease up on the denim, and if you really feel fondly about the item in all its bedazzled glory, hold onto it for when your BFF throws a kitschy "white-trash" party. Hey, don't kill the messenger, I'm just trying to save the fashion police a trip to your home or place of employ.

Oh! And since you've read this far, you should be rewarded with a free fashion tip: Your shoes and handbag should generally NOT match! That classic fashion move will probably make a permanent comeback someday, but for now, it screams that you're a little fashion backward. Even I know this!

We all have some embarrassing, prized denim item, let's hear about it! I'll go first: My item is a pair of Guess overalls that I still hope will come back into style so I keep them in my attic.









O

3 comments:

  1. ROTFL, memba when the overalls were in let's say for us Cougars who are in our thirties, and we wore one strap undid? HA HA..

    love this blog, and love that you critique others so dead on, when if someone saw YOU they would never ever know how fashy savy you really are. Well done, as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!

    So my confession is that I had denim car seat covers in my 1988 Camry-oh so comfy, specially in the dead of summer

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I'm kind of like Isaac Mizrahi. His standard uniform is classic khakis, white tee, thin v-neck preppy sweater with flip flops. Yet, he designs the most amazing, fashion forward clothes!

    ReplyDelete