Monday, February 23, 2009

Evolution

The whole reason I started blogging was because of two or three blogs I frequently read (check out my "Also good for your head..." section). I feel corny saying these bloggers inspire me but that is the truth. I usually follow a blog if:

1. ..it makes me laugh
2. ..it makes me think
3. ..it makes me mad
4. ..it makes me reason out exactly why I disagree with it
5. ..it teaches me something
6. ..it makes me nod vehemently at the computer screen in utter agreement

The # 1 indicator of how moved I am by a blog is my tendency to comment on it.

The Pongo Blog is my favorite one to comment on, and that may be a reflection of the year I've had leading up to today (being my first day of a new job that I feel hopeful about). Despite attaining gainful employment, I will now always follow Pongo's blog, like a dear old friend.

I continue to follow bloggers that I often disagree with because of their amazing ability to open my mind with their smart and insightful writing. I'm struck by how much those bloggers make me fully understand my own opinions.

Penelope Trunk is definitely one of the best out there. Her recent post 5 Emerging trends from the recession is a reminder of why I follow her.

Previously, I had only blogged informally on MySpace or Facebook so it meant something entirely new to be setting up a standalone blog here on Blogspot. Somehow, it's more out there than MySpace or Facebook, but not by much.

Before Georgia turned one, if you told me I would soon find time to blog I would have shredded your face with my sharp, exposed nerves. "Blog? HA! I can hardly find time to poop most days! Blog, sure! Hmphft!"

When I started, I wasn't sure I would write enough or like enough of what I wrote. I didn't tell friends and family about it, other than a key few. I wanted people who don't love me (strangers) be the ones to comment on and weigh in on what I was saying. I approached blogspot as a testing ground. It has helped me determine that I can and do blog regularly.

I'm not sure where I will go with this but I am really enjoying the journey. I don't want to be a mommy blogger but I sure do blog about parenthood. I don't want to be a professional development blogger, but I have spent plenty of words on my work life. I am not sure what my blogging identity is yet, and I don't feel any real pressure to define it.

What are your favorite blogs and why?










0

No comments:

Post a Comment